SEELANGS Digest - 12 Sep 2013 to 13 Sep 2013 (#2013-378)

Sasha Spektor xrenovo at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 14 05:55:24 UTC 2013

And my sentiments exactly.  What I also can't quite comprehend is how
gamely everyone ganged up on Subhash for making an obvious and not too
complicated a point.  Has the art of translation fallen in such disrepute
that everyone needs to defend it no matter what the other side says?
Robert, as far as I understand, you are SEELANGS' favorite translator
(including yours truly), why would you feel so attacked by a statement that
seems quite reasonable?  Does it wound your translator's sensibility so
much to read that no translation is ever perfect?  Gandlevsky once said
that a translation is like a black and white photograph of the color
original.  Is that so inaccurate?  Does that mean that we should stop
translating?  And the others?  So happy to chime in!  Where's the buzz
police when you need it?

Yours truly,
Sasha Spektor