SEELANGS Digest - 12 Sep 2013 to 13 Sep 2013 (#2013-378)

George Kalbouss kalbouss at MAC.COM
Sat Sep 14 18:50:21 UTC 2013

Years ago, I remember a production of "Faust" at the (then) Kirov Opera.  The entire
cast sang in Russia, but the diva singing the Margarita part sang in her native Latvian.
It all worked very smoothly, except for the scene where Faust eavesdrops on a soliloquy by
Margarita.  Faust then confesses to Mephistopheles that he heard everything, and
the only thought I had was, "so you know Latvian?"  Somehow I couldn't get that idea
out of my mind.

George Kalbouss
The Ohio State University