SEELANGS Digest - 12 Sep 2013 to 13 Sep 2013 (#2013-378)

Valentino, Russell Scott russellv at INDIANA.EDU
Sat Sep 14 19:36:34 UTC 2013

Just for a little variety, since these sorts of discussions often go
around in circles, translation studies offers what seems to me a more
productive way of thinking about this set of problems. For instance, the
many metaphors (and there are many) about the inadequacy, incompleteness,
etc. of a translation vis-a-vis its source proceed from a usually
unarticulated assumption about the purpose of translation in general,
namely, that it is somehow supposed to pick up a text in all its
complexity and situatedness in the source context and carry it across into
some new context intact. This is as impossible as picking up the
translation, which has in the process acquired a new set of associations
in the receiving culture, and putting it back into the source context
intact. It's fun to come up with metaphors for this impossible feat, but
once the unarticulated assumption behind it is laid bare, the observation
comes to seem rather banal, even if the metaphors might be colorful -- the
color photograph, perfect sex for all parties, and so on.

This particular assumption about the purpose or aims of translation is
just one among many. There are as many possible purposes for translations
as there are audiences for them. How translations mean different things
for different audiences in different times and places -- which includes
the new sounds, resonances, associations, and power that they gain in the
process of crossing -- is always more interesting than what they might
lose.

Russell

Russell Scott Valentino
Professor and Chair