[w] for [v] in the speech of Russians speaking English

Charles Mills bowrudder at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 17 16:02:58 UTC 2013

In my experience, this phenomenon is more widespread than you describe it.
I've encountered it a lot.  Many phonologists view Russian as having /w/ at
the grammatical level, realized as either [v] or [f] (Lightner, Harshenin,
Coats, Kiparsky, Hayes).  If that is true, it could be that they just
haven't assimilated the grammar of L2.  Overcompensation could be the
phonological analog of speakers who use "I" where they should use "me";
they know "w" is correct.  They just don't know when.