[w] for [v] in the speech of Russians speaking English

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue Sep 17 16:03:05 UTC 2013

Funny you should mention Star Trek.

Yes, Mr. Chekhov did make this particular "mistake." The actor in the
original series was NOT Russian.
The actor in the current movies, Anton Yelchin, is Russian, and boy, does
he sound it; the accent -- not his own-- is "perfect. "

Interestingly, he thought the V and W business was just the previous actor:
"I know the Russian accent so well because I have so many family members
and family friends who speak with one, but there are also certain things
that Walter Koenig does specifically, like his version of it, that I have
been picking up and studying to incorporate, because I think they're really
important. It really is Chekov. It's not just some Russian guy. It's
Chekov. Specifically the word 'very'. He says 'wery'. It's a W instead of a
V. And the way he says 'keptin'... All these things, I think, are important
to take note of and use."

Thank you to Dorian Juric for clarifying that it does happen naturally ...

-FR

--
Françoise Rosset
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies