Vowel breaking in Russian

Andrew Jameson a.jameson2 at DSL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Sep 24 08:29:38 UTC 2013

Is it entirely a coincidence that Mandarin does something similar for
purposes of emphasis?
E.g. Wo de tian-a! (My heavens! as an exclamation).

Andrew Jameson
Consultant on Russian Language and Culture
Translator, Russian & German to English
Listowner, russian-teaching list
6 Gilbert Road
Malvern WR14 3RQ UK
01684 572466

  _____

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Brian Hayden
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:08 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Vowel breaking in Russian

Why is it не-а, anyway, instead of не-э, for example? Is there a reason we
see /a/ there?

Brian Hayden

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Jules Levin <ameliede at earthlink.net>
wrote:
On 9/23/2013 3:01 AM, John Dunn wrote:
But then my question is this: are the vowels in не-а separated by a glottal
stop?  And, if so, are there any other contexts in Russian where a glottal
stop occurs?

John Dunn.
From: SEELANGS: Slavic&  East European Languages and Literatures
- Use your web browser to search the archives, control your subscription
options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs
                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs