Russian Police Choir

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Sun Feb 9 20:10:21 UTC 2014

The NBC site only works in the States.

You can find the Azbuka rolik, though, on RuTube.
http://rutube.ru/video/c5f21f8ec23fb8905b61baa87e87a095/?ref=logo

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jane Shuffelton
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:30 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Police Choir

Tom,

No matter what I try, I can't get that alphabet video to play.  Does anyone
have a  way to access it?  When it showed up, I hit the record button on my
t.v. as fast as I could, but that's not the same as making it available to
students.  I also was emailing a fellow Russianist high school teacher - we
agree that the video could be Russia's best gift to our language programs.
Since the alphabet is what attracts many to try Russian, it would be super
as a promotion tool.  Not to even get into the implications for the new
revised Standards emphasis on "Reflecting on cultural products..."
(available at www.actfl.org. Or what one could imagine doing with the video
in a more advanced class, or with heritage learners.  I could go on and on -
it was electrifying just to think that a country would identify its culure
first and foremost with its language/writing system.

Tom, I agree with you more than 100% about the policeman's chorus and
perceptions of Russia.  Was horrified in church this morning to hear prayers
for the unfortunate people in the Sochi area whose homes have been displaced
-- the only mention of the Olympics.  And that is just one example of the
pervasive negative and/or mocking commentary on Russia, now, and so very
often.  "Why did they gloss over Stalin in the history segment?"  Really -
would we include choreography on slavery or the expropriation of Native
American lands in a similar show?  "Jane, don't you think Russia is terribly
dangerous?"  That was just before I nearly became a witness at a police
shoot out at a suburban Wegmans right here.

With apologies for a bit of a blog-sized reply, but have been thinking about
that ceremony all weekend.

Jane Shuffelton