Analogs of Vysotsky

Masha Kisel mkisel1 at UDAYTON.EDU
Mon Feb 10 00:46:08 UTC 2014

I wanted to add a few points to my comparison of Vysotsky to  Kurt Cobain.
Although they may not have too many "items on the checklist" in common, I
think that Cobain is uniquely suited to explain the concept of "nadryv" to
current American students. Dylan and Cash don't quite accomplish the same
level of vocal angst or self-abnegation, in my opinion. The voices of
Marley, Simon and others sound much too sweet.

I find that Cobain's difficult relationship with the music industry and
paradoxical artistic identity that hinged on his outsider status even
though he was massively popular can serve as an interesting parallel for
Vysotsky's artistic persona: an outsider and Soviet celebrity.

I am not claiming, however, that a single figure can encompass Vysotsky's
art, life and stage presence.

Masha Kisel

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs