Call for Participants: FREE Online Finnish Language Course (lower-intermediate level). Apply now for a place.

Perkins, James j.a.perkins at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Jan 6 14:23:11 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Please see the message below about a new FREE online course in the Finnish language (lower-intermediate level) that will be taught from late-January by Dr Riitta-Liisa Valijärvi, Senior Teaching Fellow in Finnish Language at UCL SSEES. The course is aimed at postgraduate students but applications from other researchers will also be considered. To enrol on the course, send an email to the teacher (r.valijarvi at ucl.ac.uk<mailto:r.valijarvi at ucl.ac.uk>) by 20 January 2013.

************
Dear postgraduate student,
I am looking for participants for a Finnish-language online continuation course. This pilot course is aimed at lower intermediate students with previous knowledge of the Finnish language. The course will run from the week starting 27 January to the week ending 6 April 2013 (10 weeks).

*       The course is free of charge. I am asking you to commit to the lessons, take the exam and give me feedback about your experiences at the end.

*       You will need a headset and the book Teach Yourself Complete Finnish by Terttu Leney. We will start at chapter 10.

*       We will have one 90-minute lesson a week online through the conferencing tool Blackboard Learn. I have available slots on Monday and Thursday mornings and Saturday afternoons.

*       You will have access to a Moodle page with exercises and quizzes.

*       The focus on the course will be on reading skills. We will read authentic texts, such as news, abstracts and Wikipedia entries. Writing, speaking and listening skills will also be practised.

*       The course is particularly useful if you want to conduct fieldwork/archive work in Finland or access authentic source materials in Finnish. It is also good if you simply want to revise your previous skills.

*       I would expect potential students to have completed at least an intensive beginners' course (10 or 20 weeks) or reached level A2 on the CEFR scale.
To enrol on the course, send an email to the teacher r.valijarvi at ucl.ac.uk<mailto:r.valijarvi at ucl.ac.uk> by 20 January 2013. Include the following information in the email: 1) previous Finnish studies, and 2) the time that suits you the best (Monday morning, Thursday morning, Saturday afternoon). I look forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes,
Dr Riitta Valijarvi

The Centre for East European Language-Based Area Studies (CEELBAS)
CEELBAS is a network of leading UK universities established to promote the study of all the countries of Central, Eastern, South-Eastern Europe and the Baltics, Russia, as well as Turkey and the Black Sea, Central Asia and the Caucasus.

NEW! AHRC PhD Studentships available in Russian, Slavonic and East European languages and culture: http://www.ceelbas.ac.uk/students/cdt

www.ceelbas.ac.uk<http://www.ceelbas.ac.uk>
www.facebook.com/theCEELBASnetwork<http://www.facebook.com/theCEELBASnetwork>
Postgraduate and early-career researchers facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/ceelbas<http://www.facebook.com/groups/ceelbas>