Announcement, NEH Summer (2014) Institute, “America’s East Central Europeans: Migration and Memory”

Alan Timberlake at2205 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Jan 7 13:58:25 UTC 2014

Dear SEELANGers,

With this I would like to draw your attention to an upcoming Summer
Institute, funded by the National Endowment of Humanities, to be held at
Columbia this coming June**8-29.The topic is “America’s East Central
Europeans: Migration and Memory.”

Quick facts to note are that the application deadline is March 4; the
Institute provides a stipend of $2700 to participants.The Institute is
described in full on the website http://nehsummerinst.columbia.edu/,
which includes information about the application process, presenters,
schedule, and housing. Questions may be addressed to Co-Director Robert
Davis (rhd2106 at Columbia.edu <mailto:rhd2106 at Columbia.edu>, 212 854-4701).

Allow me to add some less bureaucratic observations.While I’m the PI for
this project, this Institute is the really the work of Edward Kasinec
and Robert Davis, experienced hands at designing and administering
summer NEH institutes.I spent some time as a private citizen at last
summer’s institute, on Russia immigration, and observed several
things.The plan and overall design were superb.The Institute ran crisply
and smoothly.Invited speakers, thoughtfully selected by the
co-directors, gave presentations on a high level. The participants were
thoroughly engaged and quickly formed an active community.  The same can
be expected this summer.

I might add the further informal comment that the NEH, and also the
local organizers, want this institute to be inclusive of participants
from the full range of educational institutions, and we welcome
applications from people at small colleges and universities.

Yours truly,
Alan Timberlake
Director, East Central European Center, Columbia University
Principal Investigator, NEH Summer Institute: “America’s East Central
Europeans: Migration and Memory”

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs