ASEEES 2014: panel on 1993

Boele, O.F. O.F.Boele at HUM.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Tue Jan 7 14:52:06 UTC 2014

Dear Seelangers,

For the 2014 ASEEES convention in San Antonio I'm organizing a panel on the constitutional crisis of 1993, in particular on the ways in which the bloody events of September/October of that year are remembered and narrativized in poetry, fiction, memoires, documentary films and various remembrance practices (protest song contests, commemoration marches). Because the surviving defenders of the House of the Soviets and their sympathizers have been considerably more vocal about 1993 than president Yeltsin's supporters, the color "red-brown" is likely to dominate this panel. However, contributions dealing with State Television's treatment of 1993 last year (cf. various live debates on Pervyi kanal and the new public TV channel OTR) are also very welcome. My own paper will focus on the (historical) prose of Yurii Bondarev, Aleksander Prokhanov and on Sergei Shargunov's very recent novel 1993. If you are interested, please send me a title and a short abstract off-list (o.f.boele at hum.leidenuniv.nl<mailto:o.f.boele at hum.leidenuniv.nl>).

Thank you!

Otto Boele

Dr. Otto Boele
Chair of the Department of Russian Studies
Associate Professor of Russian Literature
Department of Russian Studies, University of Leiden
P.O. Box 9515, 2300 RA Leiden
o.f.boele at hum.leidenuniv.nl<mailto:o.f.boele at hum.leidenuniv.nl>
http://zoekenopnaam.leidenuniv.nl/profile/d2561cb34a5035fde72d754dcbbddcfccced17b4?q=boele

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs