Discussant and chair needed: language policy in post-Soviet contexts

Chilstrom Karen chilstrom at UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Jan 14 11:29:01 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

Would any of you be interested in serving as chair or discussant for our panel on language policy in post-Soviet contexts? We are looking for a chair and discussant interested in language policy issues, the impact of internationalization and globalization on language and education policies, or the sociology of language and education. Here is a description of our panel:

Language issues, policies and struggles in post-Soviet contexts

The years after the collapse of the Soviet Union brought forth a fragmentation of social positions and a shift in perspectives on foreign, national, and ethnic languages. This panel brings together researchers to examine issues in foreign-language teacher education, national language policies, ethnic language use, and language change, to trace shifts in ideological orientations towards linguistic issues, and to analyze how transformations in linguistic values and beliefs reflect and affect wider social and structural changes in post-Soviet contexts.

Please respond offlist to Helen Aydarova at helen.aydarova at gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Karen Chilstrom
University of Texas at Austin