our High School Russian program is in danger of being cut - need suggestions and ideas

Joseph Schlegel josephschlegel at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 14 19:49:35 UTC 2014

Feel free to use my experience if you think it will help:

I am probably one of several on this list who was fortunate enough to attend a high school with a Russian program. It obviously led to my decision to enroll in a graduate program in Slavic Languages and Literatures, but the fundamentals of Russian I learned in high school opened up several other opportunities for me as well. I was able to travel to Ukraine in my early college years. I was soon after able to get an internship with a trade association in Washington DC looking for someone in my field (Food Science, at the time) who had Russian language skills to assist with a training program in Kiev. Had I not had the fundamentals of Russian from high school that allowed me to travel to Ukraine I would not have been able to land that internship. I had many career paths to choose from apart from graduate school thanks to having formal instruction in Russian early on. I would urge every high school to provide less-commonly-taught languages such as Russian,
 as they open a great variety of opportunities for students. Russian class ranks among the highlights of my high school experience.

Joseph Schlegel
PhD Candidate
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Toronto