Seeking a teenage "guest speaker"

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Tue Jun 3 00:24:21 UTC 2014

Hello!

I'm writing in with a somewhat unusual request (and a somewhat urgent one due to incredibly poor timing on my part).  I teach (very) beginning Russian to high school students online (most are aged 14-15) and I thought that I'd had it set up for a teenage guest speaker (son of a friend) to log into our live class this Wednesday (the last day of classes) and just talk/answer questions.  But then I took a look at the time zones and the Russian Far East is the wrong time zone for a 12:50pm EDT class -- it'd be about 3am and it's hard to ask a 15 year old to log-in to the internet in the dead middle of the night.  But it would work okay for someone in Western Russia (a place where I have fewer personal contacts) to participate.

So I'm wondering if anyone in the SEELANGS world might know of a teen in Russia who would be interested in trying out their English, humoring some very bad Russian (on the part of my freshman 1st year students), and just informally chatting/answering/asking questions for about 30 minutes.  They would need access to a computer with a broadband connection, some sort of microphone, and preferably a webcam.  The online session is in Blackboard Collaborate (for those who have not worked in it, it's like Skype plus a powerpoint whiteboard).  The person would need to be free 8:50-9:30pm Moscow/SPB time Wednesday, June 4th.  A group of teens/friends would also be okay.

IF you happen to know of a willing and interested teen, reply off list.  We can chat and I can supply the guest link for logging in.

And thank you in advance.  It's a very strange and last minute request, I know!

All the best,

Emily Saunders
blendedschools.net