Famous and productive families in Russian and Czech histories (2)

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Jun 12 01:52:01 UTC 2014

And Yuri Lotman's sister Lidia. The lore has it that the dissertation defenses for the wife and the sister were scheduled on the same day, so Lotman could not come to Leningrad for his sister's defense. I don't know if it was indeed so, or just an urban legend.

One of the biggest families is the Dolinins bеginning with Аркадий Семенович http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Долинин,_Аркадий_Семёнович, and then children (son http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Долинин,_Константин_Аркадьевич, daughter http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Долинина,_Анна_Аркадьевна), grandchildren (Alexandre is in Wisconsin) and daughters-in-law (Natalia and Inga).

This links us nicely to Gukovsky, whose daughter was  Наталья Долинина (K. Dolinin's wife, or one of his wives).

One of my favorite is Римский-Корсаков/Штейнберг, probably because I met so many members of the family, including R-K's daughter; of course she was very old, and I was very young then. She married Максимилиан Штейнберг. Brushtein in her "Дорога уходит в даль" depicted him as a little boy, her childhood friend. Their daughter, that is Max's and Nadezhda's R-K, also Надежда, like her mother, was my mother's professor of French in LGU (that's how I managed to meet Nadezhda the elder). Their son Sergej was an artist (I never met him, but met his widow, also an artist, and their son Mark): http://ru.rodovid.org/wk/Запись:737824

Alina