Translation question?

Olia Prokopenko oprokop at TEMPLE.EDU
Fri Jun 13 15:34:21 UTC 2014

Unfortunately, when it comes to academic institutions/departments in the US
and Russia, it is hard to find perfect English-Russian equivalents - when
you know what stands behind the names. Just try translating "Филологический
факультет" into English without missing/adding anything.
The English word "academy" also seems to have broader usage than "академия"
in Russian.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Vanessa Prolow <vprolow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Искусствознание, as I understand it, relates to an academic discipline,
> not a creative program like filmmaking or creative writing.
>

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Bradley Gorski <bradleygorski at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Here at Columbia University, our "School of the Arts" includes the
>> Filmmaking and Creative Writing MFA programs. I don't think it's confusing
>> to most native speakers of English in context.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Bradley
>> options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>> http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs
>>

> --
> Vanessa Prolow

> http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs

Olia Prokopenko,
Instructor, Russian Program Coordinator and Adviser

Anderson Hall 551
FGIS, Temple University,
1114 W.Berks St.
Philadelphia, PA 19122