a few Teffi questions

Oleksandr Spirin oleksandr.spirin at YMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 15 15:36:52 UTC 2014

"Варахиил, вертоградарь  райский" - gardener or guardian?  Both seem possible, according to dictionaries.

As to Dahl, "вертоград м. церк. сад, особ. плодовый; виноградник; вертоградный, садовый; вертоградарь м. садовник."

A rose in hands of Barachiel indirectly confirms that he is a gardener of the Eden, but "Barachiel's responsibilities are as varied as the blessings for which the archangel is named, Barachiel is also the chief of the Guardian angel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

   Guardian angel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A guardian angel is an angel assigned to protect and guide a particular person or group, kingdom or country. Belief in guardian angels can be traced throughout all ...
View on en.wikipedia.org Preview by Yahoo
  With kind regards,

Oleksandr Spirin
translator,
Kharkiv, Ukraine

On , Oleksandr Spirin <oleksandr.spirin at ymail.com> wrote:

"Святые ангелы у вас, батюшка?" I don't understand this at all.  "Are your angels holy"? Or is it more along the lines of  "Do you have holy angels living with you?"?

- I understand this as: "Do you have the holy angels, reverend father? " (i.e., "Are the holy angels here (здесь, у вас), father?"

Oleksandr Spirin
translator
Kharkiv, Ukrine
oleksandr.spirin at ymail.com

On , Oleksandr Spirin <oleksandr.spirin at ymail.com> wrote:

"Лик" - 1. in common sense: archaic, poetic face; 2. image, representation of face (on icons).