Ukraine/The Ukraine

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jun 18 23:47:09 UTC 2014

I understand that France is insisting we add the article 'The' to its
name, Germany wants to be called 'Deutschland', and The Netherlands
demands that we drop the article.  Amazing how speakers of a language
without articles are so sensitive to the subtleties of English.  As a
naive native speaker, I always thought that The Vatican and The Hague
had a certain classy distinction with the article, but what do I know?
Jules Levin (now in big trouble?)
Los Angeles