Ukraine/The Ukraine

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Jun 19 01:01:21 UTC 2014

Once you go to the Google Ngram Viewer page, you can try it out on Russian material: between na Ukraine and v Ukraine, the form with V prevails over NA for only a few years, between 1997 and 2002.

--
Wayles Browne, Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 220, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Robert Orr <colkitto at ROGERS.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:57 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Ukraine/The Ukraine

There is also the factor of different rates of the spread of "the Ukraine" as opposed to "Ukraine" in different parts of the Anglophone world, compounding the problems Paul mentioned.

"Ukraine" had already become commonplace in Canada while "The Ukraine" was still almost universal in Britain, and in the early 90's, I recall some British scholars being surprised at hearing "Ukraine".

It was also in 1993 that I remember Oleg Trubacev expressing his displeasure, in a private conversation, at the "ухорежущее" nature of "в Украине".

Sent from my iPad