Ukraine/The Ukraine

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 19 14:31:23 UTC 2014

Thanks again. Interesting to see that Czech was asked to change the preposition. I presume this happened in Polish as well.
Equally of interest is that the change in name was requested in English before it was in Russia.
AM

From: Rita.Kindlerova at nkp.cz
To: anne_mariedevlin at hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [SEELANGS] Ukraine/The Ukraine
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 09:19:05 +0000

Hello Anne Marie,
Czech language has no articles, so we – thanks God – have not such a problem. But last couple of years we are very often attacked from sides of many Ukrainians
 to use „v Ukrajině“ (in Ukraine) instead of „na Ukrajině“, even the Czech grammar doesn´t allow it, same as „jedu v Ukrajinu/do Ukrajiny“ instead of „jedu na Ukrajinu“ etc.
F.e. Czech ambassy in Kiev under such a pressure changed 2 years ago its letterhead from „na Ukrajině“ to „v Ukrajině“.
We must also very often explain (but without results) that toponymums like Kyjev, Lvov, Černovice… didn´t come to our language via Russian, but were accepted
 during history via Polish or some other languages, or they just correspond with Czech pronunciation. And there would be terrible problems after all with declinations… Which these "patriots" are not able to understand.
Even all Ukrainians who live in our country and are insisting on using „v Ukrajině“ etc are using „na Ukrajině“ etc, because it´s phonetically „friendly“.
Kind regards

Mgr. Rita Kindlerová

Národní knihovna ČR - Slovanská knihovna
National Library CR
- Slavonic Library

Klementinum
190