Ukraine/The Ukraine

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 19 18:06:22 UTC 2014

Dear all
My interest is in linguistic variation and change and v/na + Ukraine and Ukraine/the  are both great examples.However what I'm preparing an article on at the moment is how the variable of v/na is being used to index political identities by those posting comments to online articles concerning the annexation of Crimea.
I've just statistically analysed the data and preliminary results show , while indicating an overall movement towards v, that the choice is strongly predicated on political viewpoint.
I'm presenting the paper at a sociolinguistic summer school in Dublin next month. If anyone's interested I'd be happy to share the paper after that.
With regards the use of w/na in Polish, a Polish friend related how the difference was explained to him in school. If the country used to be Polish, use na. Hence na. + Latvia, Lithuania and Ukraine, but not Estonia. He could never understand why it was w + Siberia!
AM

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs