Ukraine/The Ukraine

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 20 08:43:59 UTC 2014

I am from Belfast, north of Ireland, and the name given to that little part of the world is a hugely divisive. It is used by speakers to index a political/national identity and - although, as mentioned in a previous post, Britain, nor indeed Ireland has the equivalent of an academie francaise - language policies do exist and prescribe use in official domains.
The (non) use of the definite article is most certainly used to imply sovereignty or lack of. For example, referring to it as the north of Ireland suggests that it is a geographical region of the sovereign country of Ireland and therefore not part of Britain; whereas the term Northern Ireland is generally used by those who believe it to be a separate state from the rest of Ireland.  So I do understand why Ukrainians want the change.
Incidentally, according to Krivoruchko (2008), the v/na question is a banned topic on some Russian language social media sites.
AM

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs