Ukraine/The Ukraine

Michele A Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 20 08:36:14 UTC 2014

... some Ukrainians took it into their heads that the use of the article marks their country as a colony, not a real country, that it's a sign of disrespect.

As a native speaker of English, I never knew that. The first I heard of it was when the Ukrainians started complaining. Things may be different on the other side of the pond, but over here, no disrespect is intended or perceived.

That's what sometimes makes this difficult. I always used the phrase "to gyp someone" and had no idea that it was from the word "Gypsy" and perceived as a slur. It's hard to change our speech patterns, especially when we didn't intend to offend, didn't know we were, and don't really see the point. I just figure that everyone has the right to be called what they prefer.