Ukraine/The Ukraine

Fri Jun 20 08:15:17 UTC 2014

Michele A Berdy wrote:

> The question is, if they can tell us how to speak English, can we
> tell them how to speak Ukrainian?
>
> You probably meant to write: If they can ask us to use a form that
> is, in their view, more respectful, can we ask them the same? I guess
> so. Why not? If someone asks me to call her Ms., I don't call her
> Miss; if someone asks me not to call him a Gypsy, I call him Roma; if
> someone prefers to be called an African-American instead of a Negro,
> I comply. I don't have to, but why would I want to offend someone?

Requests for respect are reasonable, and I agree with your response;
it's the policy I try to follow.

> (Never in a million years will I get why this is a big deal.)

Because somehow some Ukrainians took it into their heads that the use of
the article marks their country as a colony, not a real country, that
it's a sign of disrespect.

As a native speaker of English, I never knew that. The first I heard of
it was when the Ukrainians started complaining. Things may be different
on the other side of the pond, but over here, no disrespect is intended
or perceived.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com