Ukraine/The Ukraine

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 20 16:29:55 UTC 2014

While there are of course differences between the case of the 6 counties (also a politically loaded phrase) and Ukraine, the common factor is the use of 'the' to denote part of something else.  My interest is not, however, in the grammatical correctness or not, but in the use and perception of the vairables. From a personal perspective, with regards my part of the world, I consciously use only one variant and it has a negative effect on me when I hear the other.  My data strongly indicate that v/na cause similar reactions.  Arguments abound online re: its use.  I can also draw your attention to the reaction of Oleksander Spirin on this list when he stated that it's Ukraine and it has been independent since 1991.To paraphrase your slogan, Paul, prepositions and articles don't determine who's right!AM

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs