Ukraine/The Ukraine

Fri Jun 20 16:05:04 UTC 2014

anne marie devlin wrote:

> The (non) use of the definite article is most certainly used to imply
> sovereignty or lack of. For example, referring to it as the north of
> Ireland suggests that it is a geographical region of the sovereign
> country of Ireland and therefore not part of Britain; whereas the
> term Northern Ireland is generally used by those who believe it to be
> a separate state from the rest of Ireland.  So I do understand why
> Ukrainians want the change.

The example you cite seems a clear one as far as it goes, but I'm not
sure it's an example of the same phenomenon. In both forms for the six
counties, the construction denotes a subset of a larger whole ("the
northern /part/ of Ireland"). Moreover, the use of the article is
automatically conditioned by the rest of the construction -- once he's
made the decision between "north of" and "northern," the speaker/writer
has no further options.

The same cannot be said of "(the) Ukraine," since there is no indication
of which is the part and which is the whole, and there is no grammatical
rule that would require the article; to the contrary, it's a bit odd to
see it with a proper name. We've built up a tolerance by hearing it so
many times over the years, but try it with some other proper names such
as "the France" or "the Algeria" and you'll see just how exceptional it is.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com