Ukraine/The Ukraine

Charles E. Townsend townsend at PRINCETON.EDU
Fri Jun 20 17:56:45 UTC 2014

The question of the distribution of "v/na" in Czech and elsewhere in
Slavic and the (in the case of Ukraine parallel) deletion or retention
of the definite article "the" in English pales beside the broader issue
of the need we feel to submit to language policing.  I guess I have to
get used to just "Ukraine" by now, but who has mentioned the equally
egregious loss of "the" in the case of "the Crimea," an entity which is
certainly not a whole country.  It was always, at least in America, "the
Crimea" until the Russians recently plucked it off.

The French don't seem to mind referring to their country as "la France"
just as Peruvians seem content with "el PerĂº."  Let's hope article
deletion won't affect "the Bronx."  They have enough problems there as
it is.  But Americans, I think, may be particularly prone to language
policing.  One of my pet peeves is the quite widespread replacement of
"personnel" by the idiotic "human resources."  This type of inane
prettification cheapens and impoverishes language.

Charlie Townsend