Ukraine/The Ukraine

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jun 20 18:03:33 UTC 2014

Everyone arguing from personal address among individuals is missing the
point.  Old guys like me are still coherent enough to switch to
African-American when speaking to my A-A neighbor, but my neighbor is
rational enough not to tell me to use only A-A even when speaking to my
own family members in the privacy of my home.
The fact is that a mature country self-confident in its identity does
not concern itself with the grammatical details of how its neighbor
speaks its name.    Countries that worry about such things are behaving
like hypersensitive teenagers.  I realize that now the correct
response--Oh grow up!--would be considered child abuse, but...
Jules (chalk it up to Alzheimers) Levin