Ukraine/The Ukraine

Max Pyziur pyz at BRAMA.COM
Fri Jun 20 20:28:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014, Sukholutskaya, Mara E. wrote:

> Me too

I don't agree with Jules.

Insisting on the right to use the article "the" before the country topnym
of "Ukraine" in English is willful ignorance.

If you genuinely reflect on the use of topnyms in English and would like
to abstract a set of general principles or theory, I offer the following:

For country names, "the" is used for collective entities or territories
reflecting the use of a political system: "The Philippines," "the United
Kingdom," "the United States," "the Czech Republic," and "the Russian
Federation" (even though it isn’t a federation).

Use of "the" with a country toponym that doesn’t conform to the preceding
rule generally indicates de facto allegiance to some sort of imperial
claim or subordination. "the Ukraine" seems to be the most frequent
occurrence, but occasionally and to a lesser degree, there are occurrences
of "the Argentine" and "the Lebanon." (consider the usage of the last two
during periods of elevated international conflict, especially during the
1980s).

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com