Ukraine/The Ukraine

Steven Young young at UMBC.EDU
Fri Jun 20 21:33:50 UTC 2014

Reminiscent of the issues surrounding в/на Украине is the use in Russian of Прибалтика to refer to the Baltic states.  I have been upbraided by a Lithuanian friend for using “Прибалтика,“ which apparently has Soviet connotations.  The current usage in Lithuanian is Baltijos šalys (“the Baltic countries”), and I’ve seen in some Russian media Страны Балтии (in place of Прибалтика), which seems to be a calque on the Lithuanian usage.

Steve Young
==
Dr. Steven Young
Associate Professor of Russian & Linguistics
Dept. of Modern Languages, Linguistics & Intercultural Communication
University of Maryland Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
Tel.  410-455-2117