translation question: расстрела и казнь

Andrea Gregovich agregovich at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 23 21:54:38 UTC 2014

I'm translating a story in which the word "расстрела" features
prominently as part of the title.  While "shooting" seems to be its
primary definition, it makes the most sense as "execution" in its
context.  Later, though, the word "казнь" is used once.  According to
dictionaries it also means "execution" or "capital punishment", which
makes sense in context, but I'm wondering how it differs in meaning
from "расстрела".  Does "казнь" have religious connotations?  Could it
be taken to mean "penance" or something like that?  This would be
important in the story.  I'm questioning this one based on a old,
possibly fallible memory of learning that our translation of the title
"Crime and Punishment" is actually kind of weak, because "наказание"
(with that "казн" root) carries implications of punishment as
retribution, not just punishment as penalty.

Thanks!
Andrea Gregovich