translation question: расстрела и казнь

Mon Jun 23 22:40:50 UTC 2014

Andrea Gregovich wrote:

> I'm translating a story in which the word "расстрела" features
> prominently as part of the title.  While "shooting" seems to be its
> primary definition, it makes the most sense as "execution" in its
> context.  Later, though, the word "казнь" is used once.  According
> to dictionaries it also means "execution" or "capital punishment",
> which makes sense in context, but I'm wondering how it differs in
> meaning from "расстрела".  Does "казнь" have religious connotations?
> Could it be taken to mean "penance" or something like that?  This
> would be important in the story.  I'm questioning this one based on a
> old, possibly fallible memory of learning that our translation of the
> title "Crime and Punishment" is actually kind of weak, because
> "наказание" (with that "казн" root) carries implications of
> punishment as retribution, not just punishment as penalty.

To my ear, расстрел focuses on the method (though of course we
understand the purpose), while казнь focuses on the reason or
justification (and it need not be fatal).

There were cases in WW II when the Nazis расстреляли people, and it had
nothing to do with crime or punishment. Similarly, the events at Newtown
or Columbine (or pick your favorite mass shooting) could be described as
расстрел without implying any justification of the shooting or guilt on
the part of the victims.

On the other hand, while казнь is often associated with смертная, the
root and its various forms are broader than that, encompassing a wide
variety of punishments, the key being that they are imposed as
retribution, punishment, etc. for real or imagined wrongdoing.

The two terms meet in your context, but they come at it from different
directions, so to speak.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com