Alexander Sodiqov imprisioned in Tajikistan

Donna Orwin donna.orwin at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Jun 27 21:10:11 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I want to draw your attention to this situation in case you don't already know about it.  For an account of the situation by Alex Sodiqov's thesis advisor, see http://globalvoicesonline.org/2014/06/27/tajikistans-detention-of-alexander-sodiqov-cuts-to-the-core-of-what-research-scholars-do/.

It can be  dangerous working in our regions, and we must all defend the value of free scholarly inquiry. Please sign any letters or petitions calling for Sidiqov's release that come your way.

Best to all,

Donna Orwin

Donna Tussing Orwin, FRSC, Professor and Chair
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Toronto
President, Tolstoy Society
Alumni Hall 421
121 St. Joseph St.