Naum Korzhavin translations

Mikhail Lipyanskiy mlermontov at RCN.COM
Fri Jun 27 19:52:11 UTC 2014

thank you so much!

ML

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Robert Chandler
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 3:43 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Naum Korzhavin translations

Dear Mikhail,

This poem and a few others by Korzhavin are included in TWENTIETH-CENTURY
RUSSIAN POETRY, the large anthology edited by Yevtushenko.  The translations
of Korzhavin are all by Albert C. Todd.

All the best,

Robert
On 27 Jun 2014, at 19:39, Mikhail Lipyanskiy <mlermontov at RCN.COM> wrote:

> Dear SEELANGS:
>
> I was wondering if there is a published translation of Naum
> Korzhavin's poetry, or even just of this poem (see below). I am
> working on translating an article that uses the poem and was wondering if
there was an established translation out there.

> * * *
>
> Я не был никогда аскетом
> И не мечтал сгореть в огне.
> Я просто русским был поэтом
> В года, доставшиеся мне.
> Я не был сроду слишком смелым.
> Или орудьем высших сил.
> Я просто знал, что делать, делал,
> А было трудно - выносил.
> И если путь был слишком труден,
> Суть в том, что я в той службе служб
> Был подотчетен прямо людям,
> Их душам и судьбе их душ.
> И если в этом - главный кто-то
> Откроет ересь -
>                              что ж, друзья, Ведь это все - была
> работа.
> А без работы - жить нельзя.
>
>                                              1954
>

> thank you all in advance,
>

> Mikhail Lipyanskiy
> Dept. of Comp Lit.
> Queens College
> ---

Robert Chandler, 42 Milson Road, London, W14 OLD