Exegi Monumentum

June P. Farris jpf3 at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Jun 30 14:50:43 UTC 2014

Here’s one translation: http://poemsintranslation.blogspot.com/2013/10/pushkin-exegi-monumentum-from-russian.html

Tidings of me shall spread through all the realm of Rus
And every tribe in Her shall name me as they speak:
The haughty western Pole, the east's untamed Tungus,
North Finns and the south steppe's Kalmyk.

And long shall I a man dear to the people be
For how my kindling lyre bid kindly feelings grow.
For in my tyrant age I sang of liberty,
And mercy to the men laid low.

Here are several other translations: https://turcanin.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/exegi-monumentum-english/

And another site for the Deutsch translation: http://www.albionmich.com/inspiration/pushpoems2.html#exe

It is also included in English translation in the following:

·         The Portable Nineteenth-Century Russian Reader. Ed. by George Gibion. NY: Penguin, 1993.

·         After Pushkin: Versions of the Poems of Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin by Contemporary Poets. (p. 94, Elaine Feinstein)
News of me then will cross the whole of Russia
And every tribe there will have heard my name
The Slavs, the Finns, and those in the wild Tungus,
The Kalmucks on the plain

And they will all love me, because my songs
Evoked some kindness in a cruel age,
Since I once begged for mercy to assuage
The wrongs of the downfallen

·         The Poems, Prose and Plays of Alexander Pushkin (p. 88, tr. by Babette Deutsch) “Unto Myself I Reared a Monument”

June Farris

June Pachuta Farris
Bibliographer for Slavic, E. European & Eurasian Studies
Bibliographer for General Linguistics
University of Chicago Library
Room 263 Regenstein Library
University of Chicago