Identifying an Americanized Russian name: Sonet

Margaret Samu margaret.samu at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 4 19:41:17 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

An acquaintance wrote with the following question that I did not know how
to answer:

"I am trying to help a friend with her husband's family tree.  His great
grandfather came from Russia around 1890 and when he arrived his last name
was changed to Sonet.  Do you have any ideas of Russian names that might
have been changed to Sonet?  I figure it was probably a longer name.
Possible spellings of the start of possible names would be helpful."

My first thought is that it is not necessarily a Russian name, though if
the family is certain that it was changed from something else, then it
might have been. If you have any suggestions, please do let me know.

Best regards,
Margaret

Margaret Samu
SHERA President