Identifying an Americanized Russian name: Sonet

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun May 4 21:48:29 UTC 2014

On 04.05.2014 12:41, Margaret Samu wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> An acquaintance wrote with the following question that I did not know
> how to answer:
>
> "I am trying to help a friend with her husband's family tree.  His
> great grandfather came from Russia around 1890 and when he arrived his
> last name was changed to Sonet.  Do you have any ideas of Russian
> names that might have been changed to Sonet?  I figure it was probably
> a longer name. Possible spellings of the start of possible names would
> be helpful."

This woman needs to get involved in genealogy.  There are plenty of web
sites.  Does she have all the family information with complete names as
is known?  For example, does she have this ggf's full name from his
tombstone?  How does he show up in the US Census of 1900, 1910?  Is
there an application for citizenship?
My ggf came in 1891, and the name was changed.  But unknown to any
descendents, the new name appeared only in the census of 1900.  In his
application for citizenship in 1897, the original name was used!  With
due respect to my esteemed colleagues, SEELANGS is not the place to deal
with this problem!   She needs to record all family data (the tombstone
info for all descendents who are dead, for example--and contact the
cemeteries--all info is on line.  Then get involved with ancestry.com,
for example--they found my ggf's citizenship application.
Jules Levin
Los Angeles
PS If the ggf was Jewish, she should start with Jewishgen.

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs