question about archives in Moscow and Petersburg

Pendergast, John J CIV USA USMA John.Pendergast at USMA.EDU
Wed May 14 13:00:03 UTC 2014

Dear Judy-

Since you mention that your student is a Russian native, if the student is male, please ensure that he has resolved his citizenship status here in the U.S., i.e. has obtained at least a Green Card or already has a passport.  Otherwise, as soon as he sets foot on Russian soil, he may be conscripted into the army.

John Pendergast
Assistant Professor of Russian
Department of Foreign Languages
745 Brewerton Road
West Point, NY 10069
845-938-6154

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of KALB, JUDITH
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:35 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] question about archives in Moscow and Petersburg

Dear colleagues,

I have a graduate student (Russian native, studying in US) planning to work this summer at RGALI, TsGALI, GOPB, GARF and the FSB archive.  If you have worked in any of these locations recently, could you possibly let me know how helpful/not you found staff (how are current tensions affecting access) and also what kind of financial charges you encountered? We'd be very grateful for any information.  Thank you!

Judy

Dr. Judith E. Kalb

Associate Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature

Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures

University of South Carolina

Columbia, SC 29208

jkalb at sc.edu

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Use your web browser to search the archives, control your subscription options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs -------------------------------------------------------------------------