question about archives in Moscow and Petersburg

Ben Phillips ben.phillips at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 15 16:42:24 UTC 2014

Dear Judy,

I am working in RGALI at the moment. Since it doesn't hold sensitive
material in the way some of the other archives you mention do, I don't
think your student will have any access problems here - the propusk process
is fairly painless. However, as Otto said, other aspects leave a lot to be
desired. The archive is a long way out of town, document order times are
frustratingly slow (and, so far as I can tell, quite unpredictable) and the
staff are neither the friendliest nor the most helpful. There's no
stolovaya, nor anywhere decent to get lunch in the immediate vicinity,
which rather takes the edge off the otherwise refreshing lack of
kontrol'nye listki and the guards' relaxed attitude to letting you come and
go through the barriers as you please.

Ben Phillips
UCL SSEES
16 Taviton Street