question about archives in Moscow and Petersburg

Harris, Adrienne M. Adrienne_Harris at BAYLOR.EDU
Thu May 15 20:09:18 UTC 2014

Dear Judy,

Your graduate student might find a guide to Russian archives (compiled by SAMANTHA SHERRY, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, OXFORD
JONATHAN WATERLOW, ST ANTONY'S COLLEGE, OXFORD, ANDY WILLIMOTT, SSEES, UCL, sponsored by BASEES) to be very useful.  I'll send it to you individually.  Other readers can find it by accessing Andy Willimott's academia.edu page or by emailing me directly Adrienne_Harris at baylor.edu<mailto:Adrienne_Harris at baylor.edu> -note-there is an underscore between my first and last names.

My experience at RGALI has been similar to Otto Boele's.  I would urge your student to order documents prior to arrival if he or she has citations.  I have had overwhelmingly positive experiences at the Komsomol archive, which is part of RGASPI-I'm not sure if the FSB archive is part of RGASPI.  The last time I copied something at RGALI, it cost around $1/page.  There were limits on how many pages I could copy from a given work.  I did have to pay for these copies at Sperbank in the manner that Dr. Boele detailed.   I would advise your student to transcribe text whenever possible.  If one arrives early, one can usually get a table with an electrical outlet.

All the best,
Adrienne

Adrienne M. Harris, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Russian (Associate Professor, effective August 2014)
Modern Languages and Cultures
Baylor University

One Bear Place #97391
Waco, TX 76798-7391