Translation for "volokusha"?

Thu May 22 02:56:02 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

In an artic setting, my author describes the use of a волокуша, which he
defines as "огромные такие сани" capable of carrying 35-40 fuel barrels
each weighing 250 kg -- we're talking about nine or ten tons. Since he
defines the term, I thought of just calling it "volokusha" in italics,
unless someone has a better idea. Since "sledge" is just the British
pronunciation of American "sled," it doesn't really help (it doesn't
mean "big sled").

Obviously, this isn't the horse-drawn pole thingy, nor is it a harrow.

Thanks much.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com