Translation of Meschanka, bezdukhovny obyvatel'

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at COE.INT
Thu May 22 05:22:55 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

A student has chosen E.V. Styazhina's "zhenskaya i muzhskaya povsedevnost' v usloviyakh smeny gendernykh kontraktov vtoroy poloviny XX v."

She translated "meschanka" and "bezdukhovny obyvatel' " (in French) by "bourgeoise" and "vulgar parasit".

For me meschanin was rather "petit-bourgeois" than "bourgeois".
I would have translated "bourgeois" by буржуй.

Is / Was there a difference between "petit-bourgeois" and "bourgeois" in Russia's society?

A "petit-bourgeois" in French is somebody whos is only concerned with material concerns,
whereas a "bourgeois" (who is more affluent) tends to show off his property but should also
be interested in intellectual or artistic activities.

Any hints ?

Regards

Philippe Frison
(Strasbourg, France)