Russian quotation practice

Tue May 27 20:14:25 UTC 2014

This morning, I asked:

> So are my authors being irresponsible/incompetent/illiterate/etc., or
> is this all I can expect from Russian quotation markings?

I've had a variety of private responses, which I can summarize as follows:

1) The ideal is much the same as it is here. In principle, Russian
authors should do as I hoped they would.

2) The reality often falls short of the ideal. In practice, Russian
authors don't always live up to these high standards.

Since all the respondents chose to write privately, I assume they do not
wish to be quoted by name, so I'll just thank them generically here and
personally off-list.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com