Russian quotation practice

Liv Bliss bliss.mst at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 28 17:01:34 UTC 2014

Here's a thought, Paul, that is probably fit for public consumption and polite society: Is it possible that your Russian source text quoting a published translation from German into Russian, or was your author making it up as s/he went along? I often find my authors (academics and professional critics all) merrily quoting published texts without reference to the original, when it turns out that the translation was... errr... highly imaginative. And may well contain punctuation horrors of the kind that fatally injured your camel. This doesn't help you one bit, really, but for me knowing -- or guessing -- what the problem is helps me cope with the fallout.

Best to all
Liv