Promotional Video: Why study Russian?

John Dunn John.Dunn at GLASGOW.AC.UK
Thu Sep 4 10:29:08 UTC 2014

The comments by Alina Israeli and Melissa Smith are intriguing, since they suggest that British and North American students have a different perspective on the reasons for studying Russian.  Though there are other variables that complicate the picture, it is my impression that in the U.K. student numbers go up during periods of optimism (the Thaw, the later years of Perestroika) and remain stationary or go down in less propitious periods.  And the first major expansion of Russian Studies in British universities took place in the years leading up to 1917, when relations between Britain and Russia were uncharacteristically friendly.  It seems that British students are more attracted by improved prospects of personal and business contacts, including enhanced opportunities for travelling to and living in Russia than they are by strategic considerations.  Unfortunately one inference of this is that the events of the last six months are likely to depress enrolments, especially in those universities that allow students to choose their subjects of study at the last minute – though I hope very much to be proved wrong.

John Dunn.