Promotional Video: Why study Russian?

Renee (Stillings) Huhs renee at ALINGA.COM
Thu Sep 4 21:47:11 UTC 2014

Having spent considerable time in the business environment in Moscow over
the years, it is clear that there is far more business activity between
Russia and the U.K. than between Russia and the US. Russian companies
overwhelmingly choose London when it is time to go public. And the Russian
diaspora as concerns business and money (oligarchs, wanna-be-oligarchs) is
more concentrated and visible in London. British students of business are
probably in greater proportion also focused on international business,
whereas it is a subset in the US, of which Russia is a micro subset. The
opportunities at the entry level for American students in Russia-related
business are very limited. The type of business that goes on between the US
and Russia is at a much higher level when it comes to career opportunities -
natural resources, multinational companies, consulting firms. Expats are
transferred in at the higher management levels only. The opportunities are
not for the recent graduate. Yes, there was a spurt of opportunity for
recent grads prior to this latest recession as Russia's economy was moving
nicely and when that happens there is a (qualified) labor shortage. So kids
fresh out of school did not have to "settle" for teaching English for long;
they were able to find opportunities in sales, marketing,
translation/communications, etc. But now we are back to language-related
opportunities.

American students are far more likely to pair their study of Russian
language with political science or international relations - perceiving more
career opportunity in that direction. In challenging times (now, I guess)
the expectation is government (and related) demand for experts. When
relations were friendlier, this transitioned into NGO opportunities. Many
might argue that the difference between the two is at times questionable.
But it is the same student - IR, poli sci, development, etc.

I think if we were to compare to study of Chinese we would find very much
the opposite - that American students are much more clearly driven by
business opportunity.

Renee Stillings