To italicize or not to italicize...

Penelope Burt burt2151 at COMCAST.NET
Sat Sep 13 06:25:21 UTC 2014

Shashlik, kulak, and kvass are also listed in Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition, which is fairly comprehensive and commonly used—and not as large as the Oxford American. If the word is listed in the (American) English dictionary of your choice, don't italicize it (especially if the word is used more than once or twice, italics can get pretty irritating).

Penny Burt (a freelance editor)