To italicize or not to italicize...

william ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sat Sep 13 23:54:12 UTC 2014

There are no absolute rules, just conventions which can be broken
according to circumstance. Decide on a good reference dictionary and
stick to it as far as possible. I find the most convenient source is the
New Oxford Spelling Dictionary (110,000 entries but a very compact
desktop aid) which includes US and UK spellings, also historical
personal and geographical names, indicates when italics should be used
(it is sparing in this - your shashlik, kulak, and kvass are all left
unitalicized), gives alternative plurals where this is a problem, and
indicates preferred and alternative word breaks. Most style books,
including the Chicago Manual of Style, suggest that unfamiliar foreign
words should be italicized only at the first occurrence if they appear
frequently in a book or article. These two books are my most used
editorial tools. Some publishers and journals may have their own house
rules on this and if you are publishing with them then of course you
follow their instructions.

Will Ryan

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs