CIEE: Studying Russian INSIDE Russia ‏

Irina Makoveeva makoveeva at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 19 13:10:25 UTC 2014

Dear SEELANGERS,

The CIEE (Council on International Educational
Exchange) team who has been working in Russia accommodating big-size groups of
American students in St.Petersburg since 1967 would like to invite you and your
students to continue studying Russian in Russia:
What CIEE Saint Petersburg, Russia is: 47
years of experience of educating American-university students in Russia;Full-immersion
Russian Language Program (fall and spring semesters, summer
sessions);In-depth
Russian Area Studies Program (fall and spring semesters, summer
sessions);Enthusiastic,
knowledgeable local staff, highly-experienced in the international education
sphere;Special
attention to the health, safety, and security of our students.
What makes our academic programs stand out: We provide top-notch core language courses of
grammar, conversation, and phonetics (mandatory);We offer a rich selection of electives in both
English and Russian, deepening one’s knowledge of the Russian language and
Russia, such as:Presidential Elections in Russia and Challenges
of Democratic TransitionEthnic Studies: National and Ethnic Issues in
Modern RussiaRussian Fairy TalesA Century of Russian CinemaRussian Civilization: Russian Social and
Political LifeRussian Culture: Russian Traditional Visual and
Performing ArtsAgitation for Happiness: The Mass Culture of
the Soviet PeriodArts of Saint PetersburgRussian Word FormationRussian BusinessAdvanced TranslationCourses are taught by faculty members of Saint
Petersburg State University. They boast to Russian and American students
multiple years of teaching experience. Most of them hold PhDs in Russian Studies.
 What makes us exceptional:
A reserve of nearly 200 host families, all rigorously
screened, ensuring students’ well-rounded experience. Our families have hosted
many years, and are trained to stimulate the use of Russian language in students’
everyday life;Pre- and post-OPI testing by ACTFL certified
professors;Facilitated immersion and integration with
Russian peers through our Sobesedniki
language conversation partner mixer, discussion clubs, board game nights,
athletic events, trivia Pub Quiz
nights, cinema club, and karaoke nights;Extensive network of volunteer opportunities in
the world-famous State Hermitage Museum, Russia’s largest museum of post-Soviet
art Erarta, the oldest film studio in
Russia Lenfilm, teaching English at
Saint Petersburg State University, the Red Cross, etc.;Three to four-day long trips to Russia’s capital,
Moscow and the Republic of Tatarstan’s capital, Kazan. Overnight trips to Pskov,
Novgorod, and Valaam;Cultural enhancement activities including visits to ballet, opera,
and theater performances in the Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky theaters; guest
lectures by Russia’s leading experts in Soviet and post-Soviet culture; master
classes in Russian and Georgian cuisine, Russian folk dancing, and
Matreshka-doll painting; excursions examining the cultural history of Saint
Petersburg; Our one of its kind, Signature Event; a
cultural project undertaken throughout the course of each semester. A 19th
century Spring Ball, Stilyagi,
Leningrad Rock, Diskoteka of the 90s are some of the Signature Events of the
past five years;
What happens beyond the program:
Students become a part of CIEE’s growing Global Alumni Network, gaining access to worldwide educational, internship
and job opportunities;Having gained valuable experience and
connections during the program, students often return to Russia to continue
their international education and professional life.

*The courses, trips, excursions,
and cultural opportunities are included in the initial program fee.
Dr. Irina MakoveevaCenter Director \ CIEE in Russiawww.ciee.org

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs