Ty/Vy oddities?

Mark Nuckols nuckols at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 20 17:55:05 UTC 2014

Good example. Allez viens seems very comparable to the mixed form пойдёмте.

I'm also reminded now of the French 3 sg. impersonal pron. on, which in formal usage means "one" (as in "one does not say things like that") but informally can mean "we/you/they," all heavily context-dependent. On y va, (http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/a/on-y-va.htm), can mean something like "Wanna go?/Let's go."

So now I'm starting to think Rada's залезай could be interpreted as "Let's get/climb in"--she's also standing outside the carriage when she says this.

Paul Gallagher's hypothesis also sheds light on the matter--thanks! (BTW, I believe Rada counts as a Russian native speaker for the purposes of the film. Her use of Romani is probably bilingual code-switching, though none to sociolinguistically accurate, just meant to give her speech more flavor.)

Mark Nuckols

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:10:10 +0200
From: t.moran at NEW.OXON.ORG
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Ty/Vy oddities?
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU

There may be a remote parallel with how French expresses Come on, let's go.
If you're talking to somebody whom you address as vous, you say Allez venez.
But if you're talking to somebody whom you address as tu, you don't say Va viens, you say Allez viens - putting only one verb in the familiar form, not both. In this устойчивое словосочетание the word allez seems to have stopped being a verb and become a general-purpose exclamation.
I said it was remote ...
Terry Moran